Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of plate:
- noun: dish on which food is served or from which food is eaten
- noun: a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
- noun: a sheet of metal or wood or glass or plastic
- noun: a shallow receptacle for collection in church
- noun: structural member consisting of a horizontal beam that provides bearing and anchorage
- noun: a full-page illustration (usually on slick paper)
- noun: a flat sheet of metal or glass on which a photographic image can be recorded
- noun: the positively charged electrode in a vacuum tube
- noun: any flat platelike body structure or part
- noun: a main course served on a plate
Example: "A vegetable plate"
- noun: the thin under portion of the forequarter
- noun: a rigid layer of the Earth's crust that is believed to drift slowly
- noun: the quantity contained in a plate
- noun: the position on a baseball team of the player who is stationed behind home plate and who catches the balls that the pitcher throws
Example: "He plays behind the plate"
- noun: a dental appliance that artificially replaces missing teeth
- noun: (baseball) base consisting of a rubber slab where the batter stands; it must be touched by a base runner in order to score
- verb: coat with a layer of metal
Example: "Plate spoons with silver"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #23490)
Search for plate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse