Definitions of primitive:
- noun: a word serving as the basis for inflected or derived forms
Example: "`pick' is the primitive from which `picket' is derived"
- noun: a mathematical expression from which another expression is derived
- noun: a person who belongs to early stage of civilization
- adjective: of or created by one without formal training; simple or naive in style
Example: "Primitive art such as that by Grandma Moses is often colorful and striking"
- adjective: used of preliterate or tribal or nonindustrial societies
Example: "Primitive societies"
- adjective: little evolved from or characteristic of an earlier ancestral type
Example: "Primitive mammals"
- adjective: belonging to an early stage of technical development; characterized by simplicity and (often) crudeness
Example: "Primitive movies of the 1890s"
Search for primitive at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia