Definitions of prompt:
- noun: (computer science) a symbol that appears on the computer screen to indicate that the computer is ready to receive a command
- noun: a cue given to a performer (usually the beginning of the next line to be spoken)
Example: "The audience could hear his prompting"
- verb: serve as the inciting cause of
Example: "She prompted me to call my relatives"
- verb: assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned
- verb: give an incentive for action
- adjective: quick in apprehending or reacting
Example: "A prompt (or ready) response"
- adjective: according to schedule or without delay
Example: "A prompt reply"
- adjective: characterized by speed and efficiency
- adjective: performed with little or no delay
Example: "Prompt obedience"
Search for prompt at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia