Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of proof:
- noun: a trial photographic print from a negative
- noun: any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something
Example: "If you have any proof for what you say, now is the time to produce it"
- noun: (printing) an impression made to check for errors
- noun: a formal series of statements showing that if one thing is true something else necessarily follows from it
- noun: a measure of alcoholic strength expressed as an integer twice the percentage of alcohol present (by volume)
- noun: the act of validating; finding or testing the truth of something
- verb: activate by mixing with water and sometimes sugar or milk
Example: "Proof yeast"
- verb: knead to reach proper lightness
Example: "Proof dough"
- verb: make resistant to water, sound, errors, etc.
Example: "Proof the materials against shrinking in the dryer"
- verb: make or take a proof of, such as a photographic negative, an etching, or typeset
- verb: read for errors
Example: "I should proofread my manuscripts"
Search for proof at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse