Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of quarter:
- noun: piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
- noun: a district of a city having some distinguishing character
Example: "The Latin Quarter"
- noun: an unspecified person
Example: "He dropped a word in the right quarter"
- noun: a United States coin worth one fourth of a dollar
Example: "He fed four quarters into the slot machine"
- noun: a quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
- noun: a quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
- noun: one of the four major division of the compass
Example: "The wind is coming from that quarter"
- noun: a fourth part of a year; three months
Example: "Unemployment fell during the last quarter"
- noun: one of four periods into which the school year is divided
Example: "The fall quarter ends at Christmas"
- noun: a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
Example: "It's a quarter til 4"
- noun: one of four periods of play into which some games are divided
Example: "Both teams scored in the first quarter"
- noun: the rear part of a ship
- noun: one of four equal parts
Example: "A quarter of a pound"
- verb: provide housing for (military personnel)
- verb: divide by four; divide into quarters
- verb: divide into quarters
Example: "Quarter an apple"
- verb: pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him
Example: "In the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes"
Search for quarter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse