Definitions of rake:
- noun: a long-handled tool with a row of teeth at its head; used to move leaves or loosen soil
- noun: a dissolute man in fashionable society
- noun: degree of deviation from a horizontal plane
- verb: move through with or as if with a rake
Example: "She raked her fingers through her hair"
- verb: sweep the length of
Example: "The gunfire raked the coast"
- verb: gather with a rake
Example: "Rake leaves"
- verb: level or smooth with a rake
Example: "Rake gravel"
- verb: examine hastily
- verb: scrape gently
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #12970)
Search for rake at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse