Definitions of range:
- noun: a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds
Example: "The army maintains a missile range in the desert"
- noun: a variety of different things or activities
Example: "He answered a range of questions"
- noun: the limits within which something can be effective
Example: "Range of motion"
- noun: a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze
Example: "They used to drive the cattle across the open range every spring"
- noun: a series of hills or mountains
Example: "The valley was between two ranges of hills"
- noun: the limits of the values a function can take
Example: "The range of this function is the interval from 0 to 1"
- noun: an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control
Example: "The range of a supersonic jet"
- noun: the limit of capability
- noun: a kitchen appliance used for cooking food
- verb: range or extend over; occupy a certain area
- verb: change or be different within limits
Example: "Estimates for the losses in the earthquake range as high as $2 billion"
- verb: have a range; be capable of projecting over a certain distance, as of a gun
Example: "This gun ranges over two miles"
- verb: let eat
Example: "Range the animals in the prairie"
- verb: lay out in a line
- verb: move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
- verb: assign a rank or rating to
- verb: feed as in a meadow or pasture
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #6789)
Search for range at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse