Definitions of relief:
- noun: the act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged
Example: "He asked for troops for the relief of Atlanta"
- noun: aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped
Example: "He has been on relief for many years"
- noun: assistance in time of difficulty
Example: "The contributions provided some relief for the victims"
- noun: sculpture consisting of shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the surrounding background
- noun: the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced
Example: "As he heard the news he was suddenly flooded with relief"
- noun: (law) redress awarded by a court
Example: "Was the relief supposed to be protection from future harm or compensation for past injury?"
- noun: the condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress)
Example: "He enjoyed his relief from responsibility"
- noun: a change for the better
- noun: someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)
- noun: a pause for relaxation
- noun: the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance)
Example: "He asked the nurse for relief from the constant pain"
Search for relief at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse