Definitions of resistance:
- noun: the action of opposing something that you disapprove or disagree with
Example: "He encountered a general feeling of resistance from many citizens"
- noun: the military action of resisting the enemy's advance
Example: "The enemy offered little resistance"
- noun: group action in opposition to those in power
- noun: (psychiatry) an unwillingness to bring repressed feelings into conscious awareness
- noun: the degree of unresponsiveness of a disease-causing microorganism to antibiotics or other drugs (as in penicillin-resistant bacteria)
- noun: any mechanical force that tends to retard or oppose motion
- noun: an electrical device that resists the flow of electrical current
- noun: a secret group organized to overthrow a government or occupation force
- noun: (medicine) the condition in which an organism can resist disease
- noun: a material's opposition to the flow of electric current; measured in ohms
Search for resistance at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse