Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of ring:
- noun: jewelry consisting of a circlet of precious metal (often set with jewels) worn on the finger
Example: "She had rings on every finger"
- noun: a square platform marked off by ropes in which contestants box or wrestle
- noun: a characteristic sound
Example: "It has the ring of sincerity"
- noun: the sound of a bell ringing
Example: "The distinctive ring of the church bell"
- noun: a toroidal shape
Example: "A ring of ships in the harbor"
- noun: a strip of material attached to the leg of a bird to identify it (as in studies of bird migration)
- noun: a rigid circular band of metal or wood or other material used for holding or fastening or hanging or pulling
- noun: (chemistry) a chain of atoms in a molecule that forms a closed loop
- noun: an association of criminals
- verb: sound loudly and sonorously
- verb: make (bells) ring, often for the purposes of musical edification
Example: "Ring the bells"
- verb: attach a ring to the foot of, in order to identify
Example: "Ring birds"
- verb: ring or echo with sound
- verb: get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
- verb: be around
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 16666 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2137)
Search for ring at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse