Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of root:
- noun: the part of a tooth that is embedded in the jaw and serves as support
- noun: (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- noun: (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
- noun: a number that when multiplied by itself some number of times equals a given number
- noun: a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes
- noun: the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation
- noun: the place where something begins, where it springs into being
Example: "Communism's Russian root"
- noun: someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- verb: come into existence, originate
Example: "The problem roots in her depression"
- verb: take root and begin to grow
Example: "This plant roots quickly"
- verb: cause to take roots
- verb: plant by the roots
- verb: become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style
- verb: dig with the snout
Example: "The pig was rooting for truffles"
- verb: take sides with; align oneself with; show strong sympathy for
Example: "We all rooted for the home team"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 14285 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1834)
Search for root at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse