Definitions of ruin:
- noun: a ruined building
Example: "They explored several Roman ruins"
- noun: an event that results in destruction
- noun: an irrecoverable state of devastation and destruction
Example: "You have brought ruin on this entire family"
- noun: destruction achieved by wrecking something
- noun: failure that results in a loss of position or reputation
- noun: the process of becoming dilapidated
- verb: destroy or cause to fail
Example: "This behavior will ruin your chances of winning the election"
- verb: fall into ruin
- verb: reduce to ruins
Example: "The country lay ruined after the war"
- verb: reduce to bankruptcy
- verb: deprive of virginity
- verb: destroy completely; damage irreparably
Example: "You have ruined my car by pouring sugar in the tank!"
Search for ruin at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse