Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of seed:
- noun: a mature fertilized plant ovule consisting of an embryo and its food source and having a protective coat or testa
- noun: a small hard fruit
- noun: the thick white fluid containing spermatozoa that is ejaculated by the male genital tract
- noun: anything that provides inspiration for later work
- noun: one of the outstanding players in a tournament
- verb: help (an enterprise) in its early stages of development by providing seed money
- verb: sprinkle with silver iodide particles to disperse and cause rain
Example: "Seed clouds"
- verb: distribute (players or teams) so that outstanding teams or players will not meet in the early rounds
- verb: go to seed; shed seeds
Example: "The dandelions went to seed"
- verb: bear seeds
- verb: remove the seeds from
Example: "Seed grapes"
- verb: inoculate with microorganisms
- verb: place (seeds) in or on the ground for future growth
Example: "She sowed sunflower seeds"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #31155)
Search for seed at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse