Definitions of sell:
- noun: the activity of persuading someone to buy
Example: "It was a hard sell"
- verb: give up for a price or reward
- verb: exchange or deliver for money or its equivalent
Example: "She sells her body to survive and support her drug habit"
- verb: be sold at a certain price or in a certain way
Example: "These books sell like hot cakes"
- verb: be responsible for the sale of
- verb: be approved of or gain acceptance
- verb: persuade somebody to accept something
Example: "The French try to sell us their image as great lovers"
- verb: do business; offer for sale as for one's livelihood
Example: "The brothers sell shoes"
- verb: deliver to an enemy by treachery
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3567)
Search for sell at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia