Get our highly rated iPhone/iPad or Android RhymeZone apps!
Definitions of slip:
- noun: the act of avoiding capture (especially by cunning)
- noun: a minor inadvertent mistake usually observed in speech or writing or in small accidents or memory lapses etc.
- noun: a flight maneuver; aircraft slides sideways in the air
- noun: a small sheet of paper
Example: "A receipt slip"
- noun: an accidental misstep threatening (or causing) a fall
Example: "He blamed his slip on the ice"
- noun: a young and slender person
Example: "He's a mere slip of a lad"
- noun: potter's clay that is thinned and used for coating or decorating ceramics
- noun: an unexpected slide
- noun: artifact consisting of a narrow flat piece of material
- noun: a part (sometimes a root or leaf or bud) removed from a plant to propagate a new plant through rooting or grafting
- noun: bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow
- noun: a socially awkward or tactless act
- noun: a woman's sleeveless undergarment
- noun: a slippery smoothness
- noun: a place where a craft can be made fast
- verb: move smoothly and easily
- verb: pass on stealthily
Example: "He slipped me the key when nobody was looking"
- verb: pass out of one's memory
- verb: insert inconspicuously or quickly or quietly
Example: "He slipped some money into the waiter's hand"
- verb: get worse
Example: "My grades are slipping"
- verb: move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner
- verb: move stealthily
Example: "The ship slipped away in the darkness"
- verb: to make a mistake or be incorrect
- verb: move out of position
Search for slip at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse