Definitions of spike:
- noun: sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of a shoe worn by athletes
Example: "Spikes provide greater traction"
- noun: a long metal nail
- noun: any holding device consisting of a long sharp-pointed object
- noun: a long sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal)
- noun: a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall
- noun: a transient variation in voltage or current
- noun: a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline
Example: "The seismograph showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor"
- noun: (botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile flowers on an unbranched axis
- noun: fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn
- verb: add alcohol beverages
- verb: stand in the way of
- verb: bring forth a spike or spikes
- verb: secure with spikes
- verb: manifest a sharp increase
Example: "The voltage spiked"
- verb: pierce with a sharp stake or point
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #54099)
Search for spike at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...