Definitions of split:
- noun: extending the legs at right angles to the trunks (one in front and the other in back)
- noun: an increase in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity
Example: "They announced a two-for-one split of the common stock"
- noun: (tenpin bowling) a divided formation of pins left standing after the first bowl
Example: "He was winning until he got a split in the tenth frame"
- noun: a dessert of sliced fruit and ice cream covered with whipped cream and cherries and nuts
- noun: an old Croatian city on the Adriatic Sea
- noun: a lengthwise crack in wood
Example: "He inserted the wedge into a split in the log"
- noun: a promised or claimed share of loot or money
Example: "He demanded his split before they disbanded"
- noun: a bottle containing half the usual amount
- noun: division of a group into opposing factions
- noun: the act of rending or ripping or splitting something
- noun: an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart
- verb: separate into parts or portions
- verb: break open or apart suddenly
- verb: separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument
- verb: go one's own away; move apart
- verb: discontinue an association or relation; go different ways
Example: "My friend and I split up"
- adjective: being divided or separated
Example: "Split between love and hate"
- adjective: broken or burst apart longitudinally
Example: "After the thunderstorm we found a tree with a split trunk"
- adjective: (especially of wood) cut or ripped longitudinally with the grain
Example: "We bought split logs for the fireplace"
- adjective: having a long rip or tear
Example: "A split lip"
- adjective: having been divided; having the unity destroyed
Example: "A split group"
Search for split at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse