Definitions of stake:
- noun: instrument of execution consisting of a vertical post that a victim is tied to for burning
- noun: the money risked on a gamble
- noun: a pole or stake set up to mark something (as the start or end of a race track)
Example: "The corner of the lot was indicated by a stake"
- noun: (law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something
Example: "A stake in the company's future"
- verb: mark with a stake
Example: "Stake out the path"
- verb: tie or fasten to a stake
Example: "Stake your goat"
- verb: kill by piercing with a spear or sharp pole
- verb: put at risk
Example: "I will stake my good reputation for this"
- verb: place a bet on
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #21214)
Search for stake at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse