Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stem:
- noun: the tube of a tobacco pipe
- noun: a turn made in skiing; the back of one ski is forced outward and the other ski is brought parallel to it
- noun: cylinder forming a long narrow part of something
- noun: a slender or elongated structure that supports a plant or fungus or a plant part or plant organ
- noun: front part of a vessel or aircraft
- noun: (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
Example: "Thematic vowels are part of the stem"
- verb: grow out of, have roots in, originate in
Example: "The increase in the national debt stems from the last war"
- verb: cause to point inward
Example: "Stem your skis"
- verb: stop the flow of a liquid
- verb: remove the stem from
Example: "For automatic natural language processing, the words must be stemmed"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #17968)
Search for stem at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...