Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of strain:
- noun: an intense or violent exertion
- noun: (physics) deformation of a physical body under the action of applied forces
- noun: injury to a muscle (often caused by overuse); results in swelling and pain
- noun: (psychology) nervousness resulting from mental stress
Example: "His responsibilities were a constant strain"
- noun: the act of singing
- noun: a lineage or race of people
- noun: pervading note of an utterance
- noun: a special variety of domesticated animals within a species
Example: "He created a new strain of sheep"
- noun: difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
Example: "She endured the stresses and strains of life"
- noun: (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups
Example: "A new strain of microorganisms"
- noun: an effortful attempt to attain a goal
- noun: a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence
- verb: use to the utmost; exert vigorously or to full capacity
Example: "Don't strain your mind too much"
- verb: stretch or force to the limit
Example: "Strain the rope"
- verb: make tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious;
- verb: rub through a strainer or process in an electric blender
- verb: test the limits of
- verb: alter the shape of (something) by stress
- verb: to exert much effort or energy
Example: "Straining our ears to hear"
- verb: remove by passing through a filter
- verb: separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 25000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3399)
Search for strain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse