Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of stroke:
- noun: a light touch with the hands
- noun: a single complete movement
- noun: (sports) the act of swinging or striking at a ball with a club or racket or bat or cue or hand
Example: "It took two strokes to get out of the bunker"
- noun: any one of the repeated movements of the limbs and body used for locomotion in swimming or rowing
- noun: a mark made by a writing implement (as in cursive writing)
- noun: a light touch
- noun: the oarsman nearest the stern of the shell who sets the pace for the rest of the crew
- noun: a sudden loss of consciousness resulting when the rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel leads to oxygen lack in the brain
- noun: the maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam
- noun: a punctuation mark (/) used to separate related items of information
- verb: treat gingerly or carefully
Example: "You have to stroke the boss"
- verb: strike a ball with a smooth blow
- verb: row at a particular rate
- verb: touch lightly and with affection, with brushing motions
Example: "He stroked his long beard"
Search for stroke at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse