Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of sweep:
- noun: a movement in an arc
Example: "A sweep of his arm"
- noun: a long oar used in an open boat
- noun: a wide scope
Example: "The sweep of the plains"
- noun: (American football) an attempt to advance the ball by running around the end of the line
- noun: winning all or all but one of the tricks in bridge
- noun: someone who cleans soot from chimneys
- verb: cover the entire range of
- verb: win an overwhelming victory in or on
- verb: sweep with a broom or as if with a broom
Example: "Sweep the crumbs off the table"
- verb: clean by sweeping
Example: "Please sweep the floor"
- verb: move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions
- verb: make a big sweeping gesture or movement
- verb: sweep across or over
- verb: force into some kind of situation, condition, or course of action
- verb: to cover or extend over an area or time period
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #49132)
Search for sweep at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse