Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of take in:
- verb: visit for entertainment
Example: "Take in the sights"
- verb: provide with shelter
- verb: make (clothes) smaller
Example: "Please take in this skirt--I've lost weight"
- verb: take up as if with a sponge
- verb: fold up
Example: "Take in the sails"
- verb: accept
- verb: hear, usually without the knowledge of the speakers
- verb: call for and obtain payment of
- verb: earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages
- verb: suck or take up or in
- verb: take into one's family
- verb: express willingness to have in one's home or environs
- verb: serve oneself to, or consume regularly
- verb: take up mentally
- verb: see or watch
- verb: fool or hoax
- verb: take in, also metaphorically
Search for take in at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...