Definitions of take up:
- verb: turn one's interest to
- verb: take up time or space
Example: "Take up the slack"
- verb: pursue or resume
Example: "Take up a matter for consideration"
- verb: adopt
Example: "Take up new ideas"
- verb: begin work or acting in a certain capacity, office or job
Example: "Take up a position"
- verb: return to a previous location or condition
- verb: take up a liquid or a gas either by adsorption or by absorption
- verb: accept
- verb: take up and practice as one's own
- verb: take up as if with a sponge
- verb: occupy or take on
- verb: take out or up with or as if with a scoop
- verb: take in, also metaphorically
Search for take up at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse