Definitions of top:
- noun: a garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips
Example: "He stared as she buttoned her top"
- noun: covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container)
Example: "He removed the top of the carton"
- noun: a conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin
Example: "He got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
- noun: platform surrounding the head of a lower mast
- noun: the greatest possible intensity
Example: "He screamed at the top of his lungs"
- noun: the highest or uppermost side of anything
Example: "Put your books on top of the desk"
- noun: the upper part of anything
Example: "The mower cuts off the tops of the grass"
- noun: the first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat
Example: "A relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
- noun: a canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance
Example: "They had the big top up in less than an hour"
- noun: the top point of a mountain or hill
- noun: the highest level or degree attainable
Example: "At the top of his profession"
- verb: provide with a top
Example: "The towers were topped with conical roofs"
- verb: be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point
Example: "A star tops the Christmas Tree"
- verb: finish up or conclude
Example: "They topped off their dinner with a cognac"
- verb: cut the top off
Example: "Top trees and bushes"
- verb: strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin
- verb: reach or ascend the top of
Example: "The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
- verb: pass by, over, or under without making contact
Example: "The balloon cleared the tree tops"
- verb: be ahead of others; be the first
Example: "She topped her class every year"
- verb: be the culminating event
- verb: go beyond
Example: "She topped her performance of last year"
- adjective: not to be surpassed
Example: "His top effort"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #45117)
Search for top at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse