Definitions of tread:
- noun: structural member consisting of the horizontal part of a stair or step
- noun: the part (as of a wheel or shoe) that makes contact with the ground
- noun: the grooved surface of a pneumatic tire
- noun: a step in walking or running
- verb: apply (the tread) to a tire
- verb: brace (an archer's bow) by pressing the foot against the center
- verb: mate with
Example: "Male birds tread the females"
- verb: crush as if by treading on
Example: "Tread grapes to make wine"
- verb: tread or stomp heavily or roughly
- verb: put down or press the foot, place the foot
Example: "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
Search for tread at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse