Definitions of understanding:
- noun: the cognitive condition of someone who understands
Example: "He has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect"
- noun: the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination
- noun: an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion
Example: "I knew I could count on his understanding"
- noun: the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises
Example: "There was an understanding between management and the workers"
- adjective: characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy
Example: "An understanding friend"
Search for understanding at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse