Definitions of up:
- verb: raise
Example: "Up the ante"
- adjective: open
Example: "The windows are up"
- adjective: being or moving higher in position or greater in some value; being above a former position or level
Example: "The anchor is up"
- adjective: getting higher or more vigorous
Example: "Its an up market"
- adverb: spatially or metaphorically from a lower to a higher position
Example: "Look up!"
- adverb: to a later time
Example: "They moved the meeting date up"
- adverb: to a more central or a more northerly place
Example: "Was transferred up to headquarters"
- adverb: nearer to the speaker
Example: "He walked up and grabbed my lapels"
- adverb: to a higher intensity
Example: "He turned up the volume"
Search for up at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse