Definitions of upstage:
- verb: move (another actor) upstage, forcing him to turn away from the audience
- verb: treat snobbishly, put in one's place
- verb: steal the show, draw attention to oneself away from someone else
Example: "When the dog entered the stage, he upstaged the actress"
- adjective: of the back half of a stage
Example: "She crossed to the upstage chair forcing the lead to turn his back to the audience"
- adjective: remote in manner
Example: "He was upstage with strangers"
- adverb: at or toward the rear of the stage
Example: "The dancers were directed to move upstage"
Search for upstage at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse