Definitions of ward:
- noun: block forming a division of a hospital (or a suite of rooms) shared by patients who need a similar kind of care
Example: "They put her in a 4-bed ward"
- noun: a district into which a city or town is divided for the purpose of administration and elections
- noun: a person who is under the protection or in the custody of another
- noun: United States businessman who in 1872 established a successful mail-order business (1843-1913)
- noun: English writer of novels who was an active opponent of the women's suffrage movement (1851-1920)
- noun: English economist and conservationist (1914-1981)
- noun: a division of a prison (usually consisting of several cells)
- verb: watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
- name: A surname (very common: 1 in 925 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #66)
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 10000 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #687)
Search for ward at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse