Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of water:
- noun: a fluid necessary for the life of most animals and plants
Example: "He asked for a drink of water"
- noun: binary compound that occurs at room temperature as a clear colorless odorless tasteless liquid; freezes into ice below 0 degrees centigrade and boils above 100 degrees centigrade; widely used as a solvent
- noun: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
- noun: the part of the earth's surface covered with water (such as a river or lake or ocean)
Example: "They invaded our territorial waters"
- noun: facility that provides a source of water
Example: "The town debated the purification of the water supply"
- noun: liquid excretory product
Example: "The child had to make water"
- verb: supply with water, as with channels or ditches or streams
Example: "Water the fields"
- verb: provide with water
Example: "We watered the buffalo"
- verb: fill with tears
Example: "His eyes were watering"
- verb: secrete or form water, as tears or saliva
Example: "My mouth watered at the prospect of a good dinner"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #25911)
Search for water at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Follow us on Twitter. You probably won't regret it.
There'll be a new contest in a few months.
Copyright © 2017 Datamuse