Definitions of well:
- noun: a deep hole or shaft dug or drilled to obtain water or oil or gas or brine
- noun: an enclosed compartment in a ship or plane for holding something as e.g. fish or a plane's landing gear or for protecting something as e.g. a ship's pumps
- noun: an open shaft through the floors of a building (as for a stairway)
- noun: a cavity or vessel used to contain liquid
- noun: an abundant source
Example: "She was a well of information"
- verb: come up
Example: "Tears well in her eyes"
- adjective: in good health especially after having suffered illness or injury
Example: "Appears to be entirely well"
- adverb: (often used as a combining form) in a good or proper or satisfactory manner or to a high standard (`good' is a nonstandard dialectal variant for `well')
Example: "The children behaved well"
- adverb: without unusual distress or resentment; with good humor
Example: "Took the joke well"
- adverb: indicating high probability; in all likelihood
Example: "I might well do it"
- adverb: thoroughly or completely; fully; often used as a combining form
Example: "The problem is well understood"
- adverb: favorably; with approval
Example: "Their neighbors spoke well of them"
- adverb: to a suitable or appropriate extent or degree
Example: "The project was well underway"
- adverb: in financial comfort
Example: "They live well"
- adverb: in a manner affording benefit or advantage
Example: "She married well"
- adverb: to a great extent or degree
Example: "I'm afraid the film was well over budget"
- adverb: with skill or in a pleasing manner
Example: "She dances well"
- adverb: with prudence or propriety
Example: "You would do well to say nothing more"
- adverb: with great or especially intimate knowledge
Example: "We knew them well"
- adverb: (used for emphasis or as an intensifier) entirely or fully
Example: "A book well worth reading"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #13882)
Search for well at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse