Definitions of white:
- noun: (board games) the lighter pieces
- noun: the quality or state of the achromatic color of greatest lightness (bearing the least resemblance to black)
- noun: a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows southeastward through northern Arkansas and southern Missouri
- noun: a member of the Caucasoid race
- noun: United States educator who in 1865 (with Ezra Cornell) founded Cornell University and served as its first president (1832-1918)
- noun: United States writer noted for his humorous essays (1899-1985)
- noun: United States architect (1853-1906)
- noun: United States political journalist (1915-1986)
- noun: Australian writer (1912-1990)
- noun: (usually in the plural) trousers
- verb: turn white
Example: "This detergent will whiten your laundry"
- adjective: glowing white with heat
Example: "White flames"
- adjective: restricted to whites only
Example: "Under segregation there were even white restrooms and white drinking fountains"
- adjective: marked by the presence of snow
Example: "A white Christmas"
- adjective: free from moral blemish or impurity; unsullied
Example: "In shining white armor"
- adjective: of or belonging to a racial group having light skin coloration
Example: "Voting patterns within the white population"
- adjective: of summer nights in northern latitudes where the sun barely sets
Example: "White nights"
- adjective: being of the achromatic color of maximum lightness; having little or no hue owing to reflection of almost all incident light
Example: "As white as fresh snow"
- adjective: (of hair) having lost its color
Example: "The white hairs of old age"
- adjective: dressed (or especially habited) in white
Example: "White nuns"
- adjective: (of coffee) having cream or milk added
- adjective: benevolent; without malicious intent
Example: "White magic"
- adjective: of a surface; not written or printed on
Example: "Wide white margins"
- adjective: ash-colored or anemic looking from illness or emotion
Example: "Lips white with terror"
- name: A surname (very common: 1 in 358 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #14)
Search for white at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse