Definitions of alternate:
- noun: someone who takes the place of another person
- verb: exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions
- verb: do something in turns
- verb: go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
- verb: be an understudy or alternate for a role
- verb: reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- adjective: of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired
Example: "Stems with alternate leaves"
- adjective: allowing a choice
Search for alternate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse