Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of away:
- adjective: used of an opponent's ground
Example: "An away game"
- adjective: (of a baseball pitch) on the far side of home plate from the batter
Example: "The pitch was away (or wide)"
- adverb: from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete)
Example: "Ran away from the lion"
- adverb: from one's possession
Example: "Gave away the tickets"
- adverb: out of existence
Example: "The music faded away"
- adverb: indicating continuing action; continuously or steadily
Example: "He worked away at the project for more than a year"
- adverb: in a different direction
Example: "Turn away one's face"
- adverb: in or into a proper place (especially for storage or safekeeping)
Example: "Put the toys away"
- adverb: so as to be removed or gotten rid of
Example: "Cleared the mess away"
- adverb: freely or at will
Example: "Fire away!"
- adverb: out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts)
Example: "Pushed all doubts away"
- adverb: at a distance in space or time
Example: "The boat was 5 miles off (or away)"
- adverb: in reserve; not for immediate use
Example: "Has a nestegg tucked away for a rainy day"
Search for away at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...