Definitions of lap:
- noun: movement once around a course
Example: "He drove an extra lap just for insurance"
- noun: a flap that lies over another part
Example: "The lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches"
- noun: the part of a piece of clothing that covers the thighs
Example: "His lap was covered with food stains"
- noun: the upper side of the thighs of a seated person
Example: "He picked up the little girl and plopped her down in his lap"
- noun: an area of control or responsibility
Example: "The job fell right in my lap"
- noun: touching with the tongue
Example: "The dog's laps were warm and wet"
- verb: move with or cause to move with a whistling or hissing sound
- verb: lie partly over or alongside of something or of one another
- verb: take up with the tongue
Example: "The cat lapped up the milk"
- verb: wash or flow against
- verb: pass the tongue over
Search for lap at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse