Definitions of setting:
- noun: the context and environment in which something is set
Example: "The perfect setting for a ghost story"
- noun: the physical position of something
Example: "He changed the setting on the thermostat"
- noun: the state of the environment in which a situation exists
Example: "You can't do that in a university setting"
- noun: mounting consisting of a piece of metal (as in a ring or other jewelry) that holds a gem in place
- noun: a table service for one person
Example: "A place setting of sterling flatware"
- noun: arrangement of scenery and properties to represent the place where a play or movie is enacted
- adjective: (of a heavenly body) disappearing below the horizon
Example: "The setting sun"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #49451)
Search for setting at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia