Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of spin:
- noun: a distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion)
Example: "The campaign put a favorable spin on the story"
- noun: a short drive in a car
Example: "He took the new car for a spin"
- noun: the act of rotating rapidly
Example: "He gave the crank a spin"
- noun: a swift whirling motion (usually of a missile)
- noun: rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral
- verb: revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
- verb: stream in jets, of liquids
- verb: prolong or extend
Example: "Spin out a visit"
- verb: twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation
Example: "The President's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrasing"
- verb: work natural fibers into a thread
Example: "Spin silk"
- verb: form a web by making a thread
Example: "Spiders spin a fine web"
- verb: make up a story
Example: "Spin a yarn"
- verb: cause to spin
Example: "Spin a coin"
Search for spin at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse