Definitions of surcharge:
- noun: an additional charge (as for items previously omitted or as a penalty for failure to exercise common caution or common skill)
- verb: charge an extra fee, as for a special service
- verb: show an omission in (an account) for which credit ought to have been given
- verb: fill to an excessive degree
Example: "The air was surcharged with tension"
- verb: print a new denomination on a stamp or a banknote
- verb: fill to capacity with people
Example: "The air raids had surcharged the emergency wards"
- verb: place too much a load on
- verb: rip off; ask an unreasonable price
Search for surcharge at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...