Definitions of ascend:
- verb: go along towards (a river's) source
Example: "The boat ascended the Delaware"
- verb: become king or queen
Example: "She ascended to the throne after the King's death"
- verb: go back in order of genealogical succession
Example: "Inheritance may not ascend linearly"
- verb: travel up, "We ascended the mountain"
Example: "The mountaineers slowly ascended the steep slope"
- verb: slope upwards
Example: "The path ascended to the top of the hill"
- verb: come up, of celestial bodies
Example: "Jupiter ascends"
Search for ascend at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse