Definitions of effect:
- noun: (of a law) having legal validity
Example: "The law is still in effect"
- noun: an impression (especially one that is artificial or contrived)
Example: "He just did it for effect"
- noun: the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- noun: a symptom caused by an illness or a drug
Example: "The effects of sleep loss"
- noun: an outward appearance
Example: "She retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting"
- noun: a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon
Example: "The magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"
- verb: act so as to bring into existence
Example: "Effect a change"
- verb: produce
Search for effect at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse