Definitions of ferment:
- noun: a substance capable of bringing about fermentation
- noun: a chemical phenomenon in which an organic molecule splits into simpler substances
- noun: a state of agitation or turbulent change or development
Example: "The political ferment produced a new leadership"
- noun: a process in which an agent causes an organic substance to break down into simpler substances; especially, the anaerobic breakdown of sugar into alcohol
- verb: cause to undergo fermentation
Example: "We ferment the grapes for a very long time to achieve high alcohol content"
- verb: work up into agitation or excitement
Example: "Islam is fermenting Africa"
- verb: be in an agitated or excited state
Example: "The Middle East is fermenting"
- verb: go sour or spoil
Search for ferment at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse