Definitions of sputter:
- noun: an utterance (of words) with spitting sounds (as in rage)
- noun: the noise of something spattering or sputtering explosively
- verb: make an explosive sound
Example: "Sputtering engines"
- verb: cause to undergo a process in which atoms are removed
Example: "The solar wind protons must sputter away the surface atoms of the dust"
- verb: utter with a spitting sound, as if in a rage
- verb: spit up in an explosive manner
- verb: climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling
Search for sputter at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse