Definitions of accent:
- noun: a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
- noun: distinctive manner of oral expression
Example: "He couldn't suppress his contemptuous accent"
- noun: special importance or significance
Example: "The room was decorated in shades of gray with distinctive red accents"
- noun: the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
- noun: the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people
Example: "He has a strong German accent"
- verb: put stress on; utter with an accent
Example: "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"
- verb: to stress, single out as important
Search for accent at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2023 Datamuse