Definitions of accept:
- verb: of a deliberative body: receive (a report) officially, as from a committee
- verb: receive willingly something given or offered
Example: "Please accept my present"
- verb: admit into a group or community
Example: "Accept students for graduate study"
- verb: be designed to hold or take
- verb: tolerate or accommodate oneself to
Example: "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"
- verb: consider or hold as true
Example: "I cannot accept the dogma of this church"
- verb: be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal
Example: "The cow accepted the bull"
- verb: react favorably to; consider right and proper
Example: "People did not accept atonal music at that time"
- verb: give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to
Example: "I cannot accept your invitation"
- verb: make use of or accept for some purpose
- verb: take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person
Example: "I'll accept the charges"
Search for accept at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse