Definitions of address:
- noun: the stance assumed by a golfer in preparation for hitting a golf ball
- noun: (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored
- noun: written directions for finding some location; written on letters or packages that are to be delivered to that location
- noun: a sign in front of a house or business carrying the conventional form by which its location is described
- noun: the manner of speaking to another individual
Example: "He failed in his manner of address to the captain"
- noun: the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience
Example: "He listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
- noun: the place where a person or organization can be found or communicated with
- noun: social skill
- verb: access or locate by address
- verb: greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name
Example: "He always addresses me with `Sir'"
- verb: adjust and aim (a golf ball) at in preparation fo hitting
- verb: speak to
Example: "He addressed the crowd outside the window"
- verb: give a speech to
Example: "The chairman addressed the board of trustees"
- verb: speak to someone
- verb: put an address on (an envelope, for example)
- verb: direct a question at someone
- verb: address or apply oneself to something, direct one's efforts towards something, such as a question
- verb: deal with verbally or in some form of artistic expression
Search for address at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse