Synonyms / Related
Definitions of antecedent:
- noun: the referent of an anaphor; a phrase or clause that is referred to by an anaphoric pronoun
- noun: a preceding occurrence or cause or event
- noun: anything that precedes something similar in time
Example: "Phrenology was an antecedent of modern neuroscience"
- noun: someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- adjective: preceding in time or order
Search for antecedent at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...