Definitions of atmosphere:
- noun: the mass of air surrounding the Earth
Example: "There was great heat as the comet entered the atmosphere"
- noun: the envelope of gases surrounding any celestial body
- noun: the weather or climate at some place
Example: "The atmosphere was thick with fog"
- noun: a particular environment or surrounding influence
Example: "There was an atmosphere of excitement"
- noun: a unit of pressure: the pressure that will support a column of mercury 760 mm high at sea level and 0 degrees centigrade
- noun: a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing
Example: "An atmosphere of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters"
Search for atmosphere at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse