Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of back:
- noun: the position of a player on a football team who is stationed behind the line of scrimmage
- noun: a support that you can lean against while sitting
Example: "The back of the dental chair was adjustable"
- noun: the part of a garment that covers your back
Example: "They pinned a `kick me' sign on his back"
- noun: the posterior part of a human (or animal) body from the neck to the end of the spine
Example: "His back was nicely tanned"
- noun: the part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer
Example: "He stood at the back of the stage"
- noun: (football) a person who plays in the backfield
- noun: the side that goes last or is not normally seen
Example: "He wrote the date on the back of the photograph"
- noun: the front and back covering of a book
- noun: the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord
Example: "The fall broke his back"
- verb: establish as valid or genuine
Example: "Can you back up your claims?"
- verb: support financial backing for
Example: "Back this enterprise"
- verb: be behind; approve of
Example: "I backed Kennedy in 1960"
- verb: be in back of
Example: "My garage backs their yard"
- verb: shift to a counterclockwise direction
Example: "The wind backed"
- verb: strengthen by providing with a back or backing
- verb: travel backward
Example: "Back into the driveway"
- verb: cause to travel backward
Example: "Back the car into the parking spot"
- verb: give support or one's approval to
Example: "I can't back this plan"
- verb: place a bet on
Example: "Which horse are you backing?"
- adverb: in or to or toward a past time
Example: "Set the clocks back an hour"
- adverb: at or to or toward the back or rear
Example: "He moved back"
- adverb: in repayment or retaliation
Example: "We paid back everything we had borrowed"
- adverb: in or to or toward a former location
Example: "She went back to her parents' house"
- adverb: in or to or toward an original condition
Example: "He went back to sleep"
- adverb: in answer
Example: "He wrote back three days later"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3655)
Search for back at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse