Definitions of band:
- noun: something elongated that is worn around the body or one of the limbs
- noun: a strip or stripe of a contrasting color or material
- noun: a restraint put around something to hold it together
- noun: a strip of material attached to the leg of a bird to identify it (as in studies of bird migration)
- noun: a stripe of contrasting color
Example: "Chromosomes exhibit characteristic bands"
- noun: a range of frequencies between two limits
- noun: instrumentalists not including string players
- noun: jewelry consisting of a circlet of precious metal (often set with jewels) worn on the finger
Example: "He noted that she wore a wedding band"
- noun: a group of musicians playing popular music for dancing
- noun: an unofficial association of people or groups
- verb: bind or tie together, as with a band
- verb: attach a ring to the foot of, in order to identify
Example: "Band the geese to observe their migratory patterns"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #23232)
Search for band at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse